The Junction of the SCC with the Kennet & Avon Canal at Dundas 

Next map
Monkton Combe

End of the canal

Old picture of SCC junction with K&A
The entrance to the SCC from the K&A as it was around 1900

The Somersetshire Coal Canal joins the Kennet & Avon Canal on the West side of Dundas Aqueduct.

On the wharfside (on the right of this picture) is a crane and a supply of stone blocks of various weights which were used to load down a new boat before it entered the canal. The depth it settled in the water for each weight was recorded, then when it returned with a cargo, the weight of the cargo could be determined by 'gauging' (measuring the amount by which the boat had settled in the water). Tolls were charge by cargo weight and distance carried.

Close up of SCC entrance lock
A close-up view showing one of the entrance lock gates just visible under the bridge

At the entrance to the SCC is a complex lock arrangement which was installed to prevent either canal from taking its water from the other and to protect each one from draining if the other burst its banks.

Present-day entrance to SCC
The present day entrance showing the lock walls and the moorings beyond

The first quarter mile of the SCC is in water and is being used as boat moorings.

The Brassknocker Visitors Centre
The Visitors' Centre and Moorings at Brassknocker Basin

This leads to the visitors' centre at Brassknocker Basin where the canal currently termintes in a boat repair workshop built underneath the road bridge of the A36.

From the A36 onwards, the course of the canal has been cut-into by the Limpley Stoke to Camerton Railway, but traces of it can still be see, mainly on the North side of the track leading to Monkton Combe Mill.

 

Return to home page

Return to top of this page

Return to Maps page